2023 Winter Challenge
Due March 2, 2023 at the guild meeting.
Quilt ‘Til the Cows Come Home!
The challenge is to create a quilt with the image of a cow on it! You can use piecing, applique, collage—anything goes. You can also let fabric do the work for you… not cowhide fabric, but fabric that has an actual image of a cow. We can have a lot of fun with this!
For some ideas, Google “cow quilts” and look at Google Images. Or search for “cow quilts” on Pinterest or Instagram. Many popular designers have patterns for cow quilts,
including McKenna Ryan, Lori Holt, and Laura Heine.
Some of you may already have the book “Out of the Box with Easy Blocks” (a yellow book with a chicken on the front) by Mary Lou Weidman and Melanie McFarland. The very easy Purple Cow pattern is in this book. You can customize it. Think Moovie Star, Hoofin’ It, Leprecown (The Best Ever), Udderly Gorgeous, Moody Blues, Obi Wan Cownobi, Moother Nature, Boo Moo,
Cowtown, Cowgirl … you get the idea!
1. Any method of construction is allowed: piecing or applique, paper piecing or string piecing. Any embellishment is allowed, including paint, beading, lace, ribbon, or embroidery. (Watch the video for some ideas on how to embellish udders!)
2. All entries must be quilted—3 layers of fiber or fabric connected with thread.
3. Put a 4” sleeve on the back of your quilt. Put a label on the back with your name. 4. Garments, purses, and tote bags are NOT eligible for this challenge.
5. THERE ARE NO SIZE RESTRICTIONS! A baby quilt is generally 36” x 45” or smaller. My favorite lap quilt is 50” x 62”. You can go big, but remember that display space is limited. We may have to fold your quilt to display it.
6. Your quilt must be available for display in March and April 2023.
Please participate. Let’s see if we can make this challenge the biggest and best ever. This project should be FUN and a CHALLENGE!
For questions, contact Cynthia Felts at firstname.lastname@example.org.